Sorry, this trip has already happened.
Click here to view all upcoming trips.
About the Spitsbergen Classic Itinerary
A Spitsbergen Classic trip provides you with the opportunity to get a taste of everything the Arctic has to offer, from polar bears and walrus to spectacular mountains and glaciers. You will have the opportunity for hiking on shore as well as exploring and enjoying the beauty of Svalbard from zodiacs and your vessel.
Your adventure starts in Longyearbyen. Founded as a mining town a century ago by Mr Longyear, it is now the administrative center for Svalbard and is home to the Svalbard Museum which can provide a good historical background for your journey.
You will board your ship and meet your fellow travelers.
Your adventure continues as you will travel around Spitsbergen, the largest island in the Svalbard archipelago. Your travel will focus on the western and northern sides of the island. During your journey you can expect to see a variety of natural and historical sites.
Each trip is unique depending on the weather and ice conditions.
Your adventure ends back in Longyearbyen where you will disembark your boat and travel home.
Welcome Aboard the Plancius
The Plancius was originally built as a hydrographic research vessel in the service of the Dutch government. In 2007, the current owner purchased her and since then she has undergone a total refit and refurbishment to prepare her for carrying passengers on polar expeditions. All of the cabins have outside views and are comfortable and well-appointed with private facilities and all lower beds (either twin or double). All cabins have ample storage facilities and a writing desk and chair, as well as a flat screen TV for viewing movies. The Plancius is equipped with state-of-the-art safety systems, including new radar, communication, and other navigation equipment, as well as the most modern fire and flood prevention systems.
- Passenger Capacity: 110 passengers max
- Staff & Crew: 45
- Ice class: 1D
- Length: 89 metres (267 feet)
- Breadth: 14.5 meters (43 feet)
- Max Draft: 4.5 metres (15 feet)
- Speed: 10-12 knots maximum
Cabins & Amenities
- All cabins have exterior views (porthole or window) and private facilities
- Library stocked with polar books
- Observation lounge / Bar
- Adventure options on most departures
- Leica Akademie Photo Workshop
- Single Supplement is 1.7 times the standard rate.
- Mandatory Emergency Evacuation insurance is required. Airfare is not included in these prices.
- Adventure options must be pre-booked and paid for prior to start of the trip. Space is subject to availability. Some activities require experience.
- Camping – $190 per night, max 30 people
- Kayaking – $465 per voyage, max 14 people
- Snowshoeing – no charge but sign-up required
- Photo Workshop – $420 per trip or Free during “Basecamp Plancius” and Whales, Wildlife and Photography voyage.
- Max 14 people. All photo workshops are powered by renowned Leica Akademie.
- All trips subject to possible fuel surcharge.
SHIP CAPACITY UPDATE: Starting with 2020 Arctic & 2020-2021 Antarctica Season, the ship capacity will be reduced to 108 passengers & no triple cabins will be available. We can accommodate three passengers traveling together in a Superior Cabin + a sofa bed.