About the Antarctica Classic in Depth Itinerary
Like the ‘Antarctica Classic’, this 13-day expedition will introduce you to the magic of the South Shetland Islands and the Antarctic Peninsula, and offers you two additional days to explore the Peninsula. The In-Depth itinerary allows you to explore less-visited sites on the Peninsula and to become even more fully immersed in the Antarctic experience. Encounter leopard seals lazing on ice floes and immense rookeries of penguins surrounded by towering glaciers. Expert expedition staff guides and lecturers offer knowledge and insights that really bring the nature and history of the region to life and serve to create an adventure of a lifetime.
Day 1: Ushuaia, Argentina
Your gateway for this expedition is Ushuaia, Argentina. Nestled within the Tierra del Fuego archipelago, Ushuaia offers you a small-town feel but has many shops, museums, cafes and restaurants to enjoy before your voyage. The nearby national park and Martial Glacier are must-sees and offer plenty of hiking and outdoor activities.
Day 2: Embarkation
Embarkation begins in the afternoon at the port in Ushuaia. Enjoy the evening sailing through the Beagle Channel.
Days 3-4: Drake Passage
The adventure begins with a 400 mile crossing of the passage that bears the name of the 16th century English explorer Sir Francis Drake. The ship is at home in this part of the Southern Ocean. Take in daily lectures from your expedition team and keep an eye out for the first sightings of icebergs, whales, and albatross following in the ship’s wake.
Days 5-10: Antarctic Peninsula & South Shetland Islands
Experience some of the most unique wildlife viewing and inspiring scenery in the world as you set foot on the Antarctic continent.
Attempt two shore landings per day (weather conditions permitting), and encounter gentoo, chinstrap and Adélie penguin rookeries, Weddell, crabeater and leopard seals, and orca, humpback and minke whales in the cold Antarctic waters. The peninsula also has a remarkable human history. During the voyage you will learn about some of the most important and dramatic expeditions to this remote corner of the world.
Days 11-12: Drake Passage
Today begins the journey north to our home port of Ushuaia. Review the highlights of your Antarctic experience with our lecturers and staff. Keep your eyes open on the observation deck for some final whale sightings.
Day 13: Disembarkation
Disembark in the morning.
Welcome Aboard the Island Sky
The Island Sky is a small expedition vessel with touches of elegance throughout. An all-suite ship, it carries a maximum of 108 passengers and provides an abundance of public space for wildlife viewing, relaxation and taking in lectures and briefings. Every suite has private bathroom facilities and an exterior view, while some suites include a private balcony. All suites have flat screen televisions and DVD players. Is one a sister vessel to the MS Caledonian Sky and MS Hebridean Sky. All three vessels were built in the same ship yard in Italy at similar times and share the same excellent attributes that make them three of the finest small ships in the world.
She is an all-suite yacht accommodating up to 108 guests. Built in 1992 and refurbished and redecorated in 2005, each suite features:
- Sea view
- Queen-sized bed separable into two twin-sized beds
- Sitting area
- Marble-appointed bathroom with fine toiletries
- 225 square feet or more
- Staff and Crew: 70
- Guests: 108
- Length: 297 feet (91 meters)
- Breadth: 50 feet (15 meters)
- Draft: 13 feet (4 meters)
- Propulsion: 2 B&W Man diesel engines, 4750 horsepower
- Ice Class: 1D
- Cruising Speed: 12 knots
- Registration: Bahamas
- Lifeboats: 4 fully enclosed
Cabins & Amenities
- Chef-prepared meals with complimentary wine with dinner
- Bar staffed by a professional bartender serving a selection of soft drinks, juices, liquors, spirits, and beer which can be charged to your shipboard account
- The Club
- Polar library
- Lecture theatre
- Plenty of deck space for observation
- Exterior views
- Your choice of queen-sized or two twin-sized beds
- Sitting area with sofa and side chair
- Flat Screen TV with DVD/CD player
- Independent temperature controls
- Marble-appointed bathroom with fine toiletries
- Hair dryer
- 220 square feet or more
- Sofa can be converted to bed for third person
Promenade, Deluxe, Veranda & Penthouse Accommodations
INCLUDE ALL OF THE FEATURES ABOVE PLUS:
- En suite Champagne & Chocolates on Arrival
- Complimentary mini-bar (beer, wine & soft drinks)
- En suite Nespresso machine
- Does not include international airfare.
- Single Supplement 1.7 times twin rate.
- There may be a fuel surcharge on all bookings.
- Adventure Options on Antarctic Peninsula, Circle Crossing, and Marine Mammals voyages:
- Kayaking: $695 per person
- Camping: $125 per person
- In addition to the free internet access available on the computers in the ship’s library, all passengers will receive 100 minutes of Wi-Fi access for use on their personal device.
$10,995 – $19,695
$9,700 – $16,200
$8,995 – $16,095