Sorry, this trip has already happened.
Click here to view all upcoming trips.
About the Antarctica Classic (plus hotel) Itinerary
- Perfect for first time visitors to Antarctica
- Witness and explore the highlights of the Antarctic Peninsula and South Shetland Islands
- Learn about the environment and wildlife from onboard lecturers and specialists
- Witness the abundant wildlife – penguins, seals, whales and more!
Day 1: Ushuaia, Argentina
Enjoy the “World’s Southernmost City” and explore the city center and nearby Tierra del Fuego National Park. Highlights of Ushuaia include the mountains surrounding the city with the popular “Train at the End of the World” and an award-winning museum. Delight in Argentinean leather markets and succulent lamb dishes that make Patagonia famous as you explore this growing city.
Day 2: Embarkation
Arriving at the ship in the afternoon, you will be greeted by Expedition Team and ships’ officers at a safety and orientation briefing followed by the Captain’s welcome dinner. After dinner, relax and take in the mountainous scenery on our early evening sail down the Beagle Channel past Magellanic Penguin, Rock Cormorant, and Sea Lion colonies.
Days 3-4: Drake Passage
Among the wildlife spotting opportunities as we sail south are the Albatrosses, Prions, and Petrels that frequently follow the ship. The Expedition Team will be out on deck as well, looking for the Whales and Dolphins that may also be seen in the area. The team will begin presentations with informative and entertaining lectures on the wildlife, history, and geology of Antarctica. Helpful briefings on environmental regulations and expedition safety will also be held.
Days 5-9: Antarctic Peninsula & South Shetland Islands
Arrival to the White Continent, the land of extremes! The most common first reaction to the white continent is a sense of reverence and awe. The experience is hard to put into words, as few places are as untouched, unique and enduring as Antarctica. The Expedition Leader and Captain will create a flexible itinerary based on weather, ice, and opportunity. The route will stress the most scenic bays and channels of the Peninsula with stops at penguin rookeries, seal wallows, bird colonies and whale feeding areas. Guided hikes with the Expedition Team will have you trekking up a glacier, visiting a research station, or consorting with penguin colonies. Chinstrap, Gentoo and Adélie penguins are found here, along with Fur, Weddell, Crabeater and Leopard Seals. Curious whales, such as Minkes and Humpbacks, are often attracted to Zodiacs as well, giving you a chance to get within reaching distance of these majestic animals. Each day and each landing will present a new collection of creatures to entertain you and keep your camera shutter busy.
The trip may include picturesque Neko Harbor, sheltered Paradise Harbor, the Humpback Whale favored Wilhelmina Bay, the striking Lemaire Channel, the wildlife-filled Penola Channel, or the majestic Neumayer Channel. A visit may be possible to an active scientific base such as Ukraine’s Vernadsky as well as an historic base such as U.K.’s Port Lockroy or Wordie House.
Days 10-11: Drake Passage
The lecture series and wildlife spotting will continue on the return trip to Ushuaia and while the team will reflect on beautiful Antarctica and its fragile future.
Day 12: Disembarkation
Morning disembarkation allows you catch a flight to Buenos Aires or stay in Ushuaia for more sights and adventure.
Welcome Aboard the Hebridean Sky
The Hebridean Sky, formerly known as the Sea Explorer, has always been known for its elegance, impeccable service and atmosphere of charm and camaraderie. This ship recently underwent a ten million dollar refit and now boasts the same amenities as always, plus state of the art stabilization, fuel efficiency, and upgraded communications systems. The Hebridean Sky is the perfect blend of luxury and adventurous exploration with a dedicated Passenger Service Manager, and kayaks as well as a camping option to spend a night on the ice.
She is an all-suite yacht accommodating up to 112 guests. Built in 1992, each suite features:
- Sea view
- Queen-sized bed separable into two twin-sized beds
- Sitting area with sofa and side chair
- Flat screen TV with DVD/CD player
- Independent temperature controls
- Marble-appointed bathroom with fine toiletries
- hair dryer
- 220 square feet or more
- Sofa con be converted to bed for third person
In addition Promenade, Deluxe, Veranda & Penthouse Suites include:
- En suite Champagne & Chocolates on Arrival
- Complimentary mini-bar (beer, wine & soft drinks)
- $100 per person Gift Shop credit
- En suite Nespresso machine
Owner’s Suite (385 sq.ft.), Penthouse Suites (325 sq.ft.) and Veranda Suites (260 sq.ft.) feature private balconies.
- Maximum Passengers: 112
- Crew capacity: 70
- Country of registry: Marshall Islands
- Gross tonnage: 4200
- Length: 90.6 M
- Width: 15.3 M
- Draft: 5.14 M
- Ice Class: 1C
- Cruising speed: 14.5 knots
- Refurbished: 2005, 2014, 2016
- Zodiacs: 10
- Official language: English
Cabins & Amenities
- World class cuisine
- Complimentary wine or beer served with dinner
- Coffee & tea station
- Live entertainment
- Library with computers and internet access
- Lounge with audiovisual facilities
- Dedicated Passenger Services Manager
- Every suite has an exterior view, individual temperature controls, a lounge area, refrigerator and in-room safe
- Wraparound sundeck
- Stabilizers for smooth sailing
- Resident Photographer to assist travelers
- Medical facilities with available doctor
• Elevator serving all passenger decks
• Upgraded wi-fi Internet for your personal device (100 minutes of Free access – October 2017 and on)
• Free Internet on computers in the Library
• Panoramic Top Deck Observation Platform
• Bar/Lounge with Live Entertainment
• Lounge with Audiovisual Facilities
• DVD Movie Library
- Two (2) Pre-Voyage Hotel Nights
- Certified Emergency MD and Clinic
- Voyage Photographer
- Complimentary Expedition Jacket
- Does not include airfare.
- Single Supplement 1.7 times twin rate.
- Adventure Options:
- KAYAKING is available on all voyages: USD $895
- CAMPING is available on select departures: USD $250
- There may be a fuel surcharge on all bookings
- In addition to the free internet access available on the computers in the ship’s library, all passengers will receive 100 minutes of Wi-Fi access for use on their personal device.
Notes for Air Cruises
- Hebridean Sky will accommodate 71 passengers aboard these voyages.
- Triple cabins are available only for 3 people booking together – not for single travelers wanting to share.
- A minimum of $50,000 USD worth of evacuation insurance is mandatory for these voyages.
- Rates are per person in the selected cabin. Single passengers can either book a Dedicated Single cabin, or book a Twin cabin for Single use with a supplement of 1,85 to be added to the rate per person in Twin cabin.
- Preferred seating is available on the Antarctica flight ($495 R/T)