About the Spitsbergen & East Greenland Itinerary
This fantastic expedition cruise takes you from high above the Arctic Circle in Spitsbergen, Norway to Scoresby Sund, Greenland, ending in fascinating Iceland. Iconic arctic animals such as the polar bear, musk ox, reindeer and walrus are commonly seen. From active volcanoes to massive glaciers to the best sites for wildlife spotting, this adventure takes in varied destinations.
Your journey begins in Longyearbyen, the administrative capital of Svalbard, Norway. You will board your ship and sail out in the evening.
Your journey continues as you explore Spitsbergen, the largest island of the Svalbard archipelago. The flexible itinerary allows the expedition to take advantage of the current conditions to maximize flora and fauna sightings. You might be lucky enough to see polar bears and reindeers among the glaciers. Seals and Arctic foxes are common sightings around the island! Your ship will have smaller Zodiacs to explore the island up-close.
As your ship makes its way to Greenland be sure to watch out for whales and other sea mammals! While at sea you can enjoy lectures, a drink at the bar, and socializing with other passengers. There is plenty to do as you make your way across the Greenland Sea.
As the largest national park in the world, Northeast Greenland National Park provides endless opportunities for scenic photography and exploration. Weather permitting voyages in Zodiacs will allow you to step foot in this wilderness and explore glaciers and inlets.
In addition to the amazing wildlife and natural scenery, you will hopefully have the chance to see the settlement of Ittoqqortoomiit, an isolated settlement with less than 500 inhabitants and only accessible by boat for several months of the year.
Be sure to check the sky at night for Northern lights!
Continue to enjoy lectures, bird-watching, and whale-sightings as you head to Iceland across the Denmark Sea.
Disembark in Iceland.
Welcome Aboard the Plancius
The Plancius was originally built as a hydrographic research vessel in the service of the Dutch government. In 2007, the current owner purchased her and since then she has undergone a total refit and refurbishment to prepare her for carrying passengers on polar expeditions. All of the cabins have outside views and are comfortable and well-appointed with private facilities and all lower beds (either twin or double). All cabins have ample storage facilities and a writing desk and chair, as well as a flat screen TV for viewing movies. The Plancius is equipped with state-of-the-art safety systems, including new radar, communication, and other navigation equipment, as well as the most modern fire and flood prevention systems.
- Passenger Capacity: 110 passengers max
- Staff & Crew: 45
- Ice class: 1D
- Length: 89 metres (267 feet)
- Breadth: 14.5 meters (43 feet)
- Max Draft: 4.5 metres (15 feet)
- Speed: 10-12 knots maximum
Cabins & Amenities
- All cabins have exterior views (porthole or window) and private facilities
- Library stocked with polar books
- Observation lounge / Bar
- Adventure options on most departures
- Leica Akademie Photo Workshop
- Single Supplement is 1.7 times the standard rate.
- Mandatory Emergency Evacuation insurance is required. Airfare is not included in these prices.
- Adventure options must be pre-booked and paid for prior to start of the trip. Space is subject to availability. Some activities require experience.
- Camping – $190 per night, max 30 people
- Kayaking – $465 per voyage, max 14 people
- Snowshoeing – no charge but sign-up required
- Photo Workshop – $420 per trip or Free during “Basecamp Plancius” and Whales, Wildlife and Photography voyage.
- Max 14 people. All photo workshops are powered by renowned Leica Akademie.
- All trips subject to possible fuel surcharge.
SHIP CAPACITY UPDATE: Starting with 2020 Arctic & 2020-2021 Antarctica Season, the ship capacity will be reduced to 108 passengers & no triple cabins will be available. We can accommodate three passengers traveling together in a Superior Cabin + a sofa bed.
Interested in this Trip? Contact Us Now
$5,999 – $10,999
$6,695 – $9,795
$5,995 – $14,795