Classic Antarctica – Ocean Endeavour, Nov. 2022
Classic Antarctica – Ocean Endeavour, Nov. 2022
Sorry, this trip has already happened.
Click here to view all upcoming trips.
About the Antarctica Classic (10 days) Itinerary
Perfect for first time visitors to Antarctica Witness and explore the highlights of the Antarctic Peninsula and South Shetland Islands Learn about the environment and wildlife from onboard lecturers and specialists Witness the abundant wildlife – penguins, seals, whales and more! * Itineraries on our website are intended only as a guide and you should […]
About the Antarctica Classic (10 days) Itinerary
- Perfect for first time visitors to Antarctica
- Witness and explore the highlights of the Antarctic Peninsula and South Shetland Islands
- Learn about the environment and wildlife from onboard lecturers and specialists
- Witness the abundant wildlife – penguins, seals, whales and more!
Day 1: Embarkation
Arriving at the ship in the afternoon, you will be greeted by Expedition Team and ships’ officers at a safety and orientation briefing followed by the Captain’s welcome dinner. After dinner, relax and take in the mountainous scenery on our early evening sail down the Beagle Channel past Magellanic Penguin, Rock Cormorant, and Sea Lion colonies.
Days 2-3: Drake Passage
Among the wildlife spotting opportunities as we sail south are the Albatrosses, Prions, and Petrels that frequently follow the ship. The Expedition Team will be out on deck as well, looking for the Whales and Dolphins that may also be seen in the area. The team will begin presentations with informative and entertaining lectures on the wildlife, history, and geology of Antarctica. Helpful briefings on environmental regulations and expedition safety will also be held.
Days 4-7: Antarctic Peninsula & South Shetland Islands
Arrival to the White Continent, the land of extremes! The most common first reaction to the white continent is a sense of reverence and awe. The experience is hard to put into words, as few places are as untouched, unique and enduring as Antarctica. The Expedition Leader and Captain will create a flexible itinerary based on weather, ice, and opportunity. The route will stress the most scenic bays and channels of the Peninsula with stops at penguin rookeries, seal wallows, bird colonies and whale feeding areas. Guided hikes with the Expedition Team will have you trekking up a glacier, visiting a research station, or consorting with penguin colonies. Chinstrap, Gentoo and Adélie penguins are found here, along with Fur, Weddell, Crabeater and Leopard Seals. Curious whales, such as Minkes and Humpbacks, are often attracted to Zodiacs as well, giving you a chance to get within reaching distance of these majestic animals. Each day and each landing will present a new collection of creatures to entertain you and keep your camera shutter busy.
The trip may include picturesque Neko Harbor, sheltered Paradise Harbor, the Humpback Whale favored Wilhelmina Bay, the striking Lemaire Channel, the wildlife-filled Penola Channel, or the majestic Neumayer Channel. A visit may be possible to an active scientific base such as Ukraine’s Vernadsky as well as an historic base such as U.K.’s Port Lockroy or Wordie House.
Days 8-9: Drake Passage
The lecture series and wildlife spotting will continue on the return trip to Ushuaia and while the team will reflect on beautiful Antarctica and its fragile future.
Day 10: Disembarkation
Morning disembarkation allows you catch a flight to Buenos Aires or stay in Ushuaia for more sights and adventure.
Welcome Aboard the Ocean Endeavour
The Ocean Endeavour allows you to explore Antarctica while enjoying the class and comfort of a four-star hotel. Featuring one expedition team member for every eight travellers, you can take full advantage of one of the best staff-passenger ratios in Antarctica, with a greater level of personal service and more time with our onboard experts. Complete with contemporary interiors, lounges for learning and reflection, Zodiacs for remote exploration, breath taking 360° views from the deck, an emphasis on sustainability and exciting activities, the Ocean Endeavour is ideally suited for polar expedition cruising.
• Travellers will enjoy one of the best expedition staff to passenger ratio (1:8) in Antarctica. • Book a single occupancy cabin for the price of an interior twin share berth or a twin porthole berth. • Our strict sustainable travel policy means these expeditions are carbon offset, all seafood is sustainably sourced and we aim to avoid single-use plastic on board. • A large fleet of Zodiacs enables all passengers to be off the ship at one time. There are also two gangways on each side of the vessel to minimise queuing. • Forward facing photography Zodiacs are available. These Zodiacs are designed for comfort and uninterrupted views. • Passengers can enjoy educational lectures from our expert expedition team on the history, ecology and geology of the area. • A variety of health and wellness activities are available on board, including a sauna, saltwater swimming pool, spa and gym. • A wide range of optional outdoor activities are on offer, including snowshoeing, camping and kayaking. • Enjoy Chef-prepared meals. • One-night hotel accommodation in Ushuaia is included at the start of your trip. • Extensive amenities including a restaurant, polar boutique, expedition lounges, bar, sun deck and library
- Name of Vessel: The Ocean Endeavor
- Type of Vessel: Ice strengthened expedition vessel
Built: Poland 1981
Ice Class: 1B Length: 137m (332ft)
Breadth: 11m (36ft)
Max Draft: 5.6m (18ft)
Cruising Speed: 15 knots
Propulsion: 4 Skoda Sulzer engines (4,355 horsepower per engine)
Electricity: 220 volts/60Hz
Passenger Capacity: 200 (maximum) Crew: 124
SAFETY EQUIPMENT Lifeboats: 6 / Life rafts: 8
The Ocean Endeavour carries six fully enclosed lifeboats and eight life rafts. The capacity for which exceeds SOLAS requirements, with at least 25% more space than the number of passengers and crew on board. It also has an ice-strengthened hull.
Cabins & Amenities
Restaurant • Nautical lounge • Polar library • Gym • Swimming pool • Saunas • Spa facilities • Lecture theatre • Polar boutique • Sun deck and plenty of deck space for observation • Elevator access (Decks 4, 5 and 6) • Clinic with licensed Doctor • Wi-Fi in certain public areas (charges apply) • 24-hour tea and coffee available • Onboard laundry service (charges apply)
Excellent option for families – Plenty of triple cabins available for friends or family members traveling together!
INSIDE THE OCEAN ENDEAVOUR
Often recommended for its unrivalled sense of space, the Ocean Endeavour has plenty of open and airy communal areas that allow travellers to bask in the unrivalled beauty of passing polar scenery. Housing 10 different categories of cabin, the Ocean Endeavour appeals to clients of all ages and budgets. From smaller single occupancy cabins (with no single supplement) to larger double suites, there’s plenty of choice. All cabins also come with a hairdryer, bathrobe(s), climate control, a TV, radio and safe.
- Travellers will enjoy one of the best expedition staff to passenger ratio (1:8) in Antarctica.
- Book a single occupancy cabin for the price of an interior twin share berth.
- Our strict sustainable travel policy means these cruises are double carbon offset, all seafood is sustainably sourced and we aim to avoid single-use plastic on board.
- A large fleet of Zodiacs enables all passengers to be off the ship at one time. There are also two gangways on each side of the vessel to minimise queuing.
- Forward facing photography Zodiacs are available. These Zodiacs are designed for comfort and uninterrupted views.
- Passengers can enjoy educational lectures from our expert expedition team on the history, ecology and geology of the area.
- A variety of health and wellness activities are available on board, including a sauna, saltwater swimming pool, spa and gym.
- A wide range of optional outdoor activities are on offer, including snowshoeing, camping and kayaking.
- Chef-prepared meals.
- One night in a hotel in Ushuaia included at the start of the trip. • Extensive amenities including a restaurant, polar boutique, expedition lounges, bar, sun deck and library.
- Boots provided on loan.
- Jacket- A ruggared water-proof outer shell will be provided on board on loan for the duration of the cruise. A top quality insulated mid layer for underneath and for use around the outer decks on the ship is provided to ALL travellers This layer is to keep and take home.
A small ship cruise to Antarctica is unlike any other, and an Antarctic expedition aboard the Ocean Endeavour will take you to places you never thought possible. Where else in the world can you take part in additional activities such as sea-kayaking, camping and snowshoeing, dedicated photography workshops as well as off-ship explorations to witness Antarctica from a different perspective. Zodiac cruising and onshore hiking is included with every departure and adventure activity groups are led by three guides with a designated Zodiac. Each off-ship excursion is accompanied by expedition guides meaning you have the expert knowledge and assurance of the crew.
Zodiac Cruising & Shore Excursions/Landings – INCLUDED
Yoga – INCLUDED
Polar Plunge – INCLUDED
Extra adventure options
Kayaking Program – USD $ 1,299 per person
Camping – USD $399 per person
Snowshoeing – USD $399 per person
Private Photography Workshop – USD $ 1,299 per person
Forward Zodiac Cruising – USD $50 per person (spaces limited & subject to availability)