Sorry, this trip has already happened.
Click here to view all upcoming trips.
About the Classic Air Cruise Itinerary
For those who don’t have the time or are not interested in cruising across the Drake Passage, this is the trip for you. Take a three-hour flight over Cape Horn and the mythical waters of the Drake Passage, landing you on one of the most spectacular places on earth: the coldest, highest, windiest, driest, and remotest continent – Antarctica. Once you arrive to the South Shetland Islands, embark on your expedition vessel to explore the White Continent in-depth. Voyages aim to make two excursions per day, highlighting the wildlife, geography, history and importance of the last continent. Want to fly one Drake Passage and cruise the other? Check out the Fly & Cruise the Drake itineraries.
Day 1: Punta Arenas
Arrive in Punta Arenas, Chile, where you are welcomed and transferred to your hotel. In the afternoon, you attend a briefing that provides important information about your voyage and reviews the essential guidelines for Antarctic visitors. Later, gather for a welcome dinner and meet your fellow adventurers while enjoying a typical regional menu.
Day 2: Fly the Drake
Your Antarctic adventure begins with a three-hour flight from Punta Arenas to King George Island, in the South Shetland Islands. As you exit the airplane, the clear Antarctic air fills your lungs for the first time. Explore the area surrounding Chile’s Frei Station and Russia’s Bellingshausen station, before boarding a Zodiac to embark your expedition vessel.
Days 3-6: Antarctica Peninsula and South Shetland Islands
Antarctica Peninsula and South Shetland Islands
Cruise between the South Shetland Islands and the western coast of the Antarctic Peninsula, sailing along ice-filled fjords and among spectacular icebergs, while enjoying the company of sea birds, penguins, seals and whales. Each day, disembark by Zodiac and explore the landscape together with expert polar guides. On board the ship, attend an engaging program of lectures and presentations, and enjoy spectacular views from ship while sharing your daily adventures with fellow guests.
No journey is the same as flexibility is the key to success in Antarctica. The Expedition Team sets the voyage route to take advantage of the ever-changing opportunities provided by nature, crafting a unique and extraordinary experience each time. While the exact itinerary changes with each expedition, you will explore several spots that offer the best possible overview of the varied Antarctic environment. Your voyage may include visits to sites such as Paulet Island, Hope Bay, Port Lockroy, Petermann Island, Paradise Bay, Deception Island, the Lemaire Channel, or many other magnificent places.
Day 7: Return to Punta Arenas
Return to King George Island and bid farewell to Antarctica before boarding the flight back to Punta Arenas. The program ends upon arrival at the airport in Punta Arenas. Note: Transfer to the city will be available for passengers staying overnight in Punta Arenas. One complimentary hotel night in Punta Arenas is offered upon request on Day 7 of the Travel Program.
Welcome Aboard the Hebridean Sky
The Hebridean Sky, formerly known as the Sea Explorer, has always been known for its elegance, impeccable service and atmosphere of charm and camaraderie. This ship recently underwent a ten million dollar refit and now boasts the same amenities as always, plus state of the art stabilization, fuel efficiency, and upgraded communications systems. The Hebridean Sky is the perfect blend of luxury and adventurous exploration with a dedicated Passenger Service Manager, and kayaks as well as a camping option to spend a night on the ice.
She is an all-suite yacht accommodating up to 112 guests. Built in 1992, each suite features:
- Sea view
- Queen-sized bed separable into two twin-sized beds
- Sitting area with sofa and side chair
- Flat screen TV with DVD/CD player
- Independent temperature controls
- Marble-appointed bathroom with fine toiletries
- hair dryer
- 220 square feet or more
- Sofa con be converted to bed for third person
In addition Promenade, Deluxe, Veranda & Penthouse Suites include:
- En suite Champagne & Chocolates on Arrival
- Complimentary mini-bar (beer, wine & soft drinks)
- $100 per person Gift Shop credit
- En suite Nespresso machine
Owner’s Suite (385 sq.ft.), Penthouse Suites (325 sq.ft.) and Veranda Suites (260 sq.ft.) feature private balconies.
- Maximum Passengers: 112
- Crew capacity: 70
- Country of registry: Marshall Islands
- Gross tonnage: 4200
- Length: 90.6 M
- Width: 15.3 M
- Draft: 5.14 M
- Ice Class: 1C
- Cruising speed: 14.5 knots
- Refurbished: 2005, 2014, 2016
- Zodiacs: 10
- Official language: English
Cabins & Amenities
- World class cuisine
- Complimentary wine or beer served with dinner
- Coffee & tea station
- Live entertainment
- Library with computers and internet access
- Lounge with audiovisual facilities
- Dedicated Passenger Services Manager
- Every suite has an exterior view, individual temperature controls, a lounge area, refrigerator and in-room safe
- Wraparound sundeck
- Stabilizers for smooth sailing
- Resident Photographer to assist travelers
- Medical facilities with available doctor
• Elevator serving all passenger decks
• Upgraded wi-fi Internet for your personal device (100 minutes of Free access – October 2017 and on)
• Free Internet on computers in the Library
• Panoramic Top Deck Observation Platform
• Bar/Lounge with Live Entertainment
• Lounge with Audiovisual Facilities
• DVD Movie Library
- Two (2) Pre-Voyage Hotel Nights
- Certified Emergency MD and Clinic
- Voyage Photographer
- Complimentary Expedition Jacket
- Does not include airfare.
- Single Supplement 1.7 times twin rate.
- Adventure Options:
- KAYAKING is available on all voyages: USD $895
- CAMPING is available on select departures: USD $250
- There may be a fuel surcharge on all bookings
- In addition to the free internet access available on the computers in the ship’s library, all passengers will receive 100 minutes of Wi-Fi access for use on their personal device.
Notes for Air Cruises
- Hebridean Sky will accommodate 71 passengers aboard these voyages.
- Triple cabins are available only for 3 people booking together – not for single travelers wanting to share.
- A minimum of $50,000 USD worth of evacuation insurance is mandatory for these voyages.
- Rates are per person in the selected cabin. Single passengers can either book a Dedicated Single cabin, or book a Twin cabin for Single use with a supplement of 1,85 to be added to the rate per person in Twin cabin.
- Preferred seating is available on the Antarctica flight ($495 R/T)