About the Antarctic Fly in-Fly out Sail Expedition Itinerary
Fly-In Fly-Out Options - Skip Sailing Across The Drake Passage!
The best of all worlds – an intimate up-close Antarctica experience on an Expedition Sailing Yacht combined with the convenience and time-saving travel of Flying across the Drake!
Explore Antarctica on an Expedition Sailboat where we will encounter penguin colonies, breaching whales, and leopard Seals.
Each day is something new – we take in what Antarctica gives to us, which the flexibility of a small yacht allows us to do. We will visit penguin colonies, watch many types of seals.
Explore from eye level with zodiac tours and kayaks. Plus if the weather allows anyone interested can sleep a night ashore!
Depart from Punta Arenas and fly across the Drake Passage. Join the Expedition sailing yacht at King George Island and start your Antarctic Adventure
Day 2 - 12
Explore Antarctica on an Expedition sailing yacht. each day will be different and can include zodiac tours, landings at penguin colonies, exploring historic scientific bases and whaling sites, kayaking. The flexibility allows you to take full advantage of whatever Antarctica gives to us – be it an incredible southern sunset or a breaching whale. We can stop and enjoy.
While South there will be an Active scientist onboard, so all guests are invited to participate in real Antarctic research. In the evenings the scientist will present on their research, as well as pressing current Antarctic issues. The scientist will be a part of the team and ready to answer questions at dinner, or on deck!
Return to King George Island and board your flight to Punta Arenas. Look out your window and get a last glimpse at the white continent.
Luckily your adventure doesn’t end yet! Spend an included night in Punta Arenas and explore this historic city known both as stopover for famous Antarctic Explorers and the home base of old sheep barons.
Fly to Puerto Williams, Chile, a small naval outpost that can truly claim the title of southern most town. Stay two nights at the Lakutaia Lodge. Explore famed Navarino island and learn about the flora, fauna, and history of the native Yaghans. An excellent museum in town, as well as excellent half day and day hikes are easily accessed from the lodge.
Fly back to Punta Arenas over the spectacular Darwin Range – have your cameras ready as you fly over glaciers plunging into the Beagle Channel! Return to Punta Arenas and say goodbye to your fellow Antarctic Adventurers of the last two weeks and get ready to share your experiences and photos with friends and family back home.
Welcome Aboard the Greg Mortimer
At just 340 feet (104 meters) long, the Greg Mortimer carries a maximum of 120 expeditioners to the polar regions. As one of the smallest ships in the polar expedition cruising fleet, its size and modern ice-strengthened hull (Class 1A, one category below a full ice-breaker) give you the ability to explore those places that larger ships can’t reach.
Exclusively designed for expedition cruising, the Greg Mortimer provides an authentic, small-ship experience. Thanks to its unique, patented X-Bow®, it is capable of fast, comfortable transit speeds with less fuel consumption and reduced emissions.
Designed to the latest Polar Code for non-intrusive, low-impact voyages, the Greg Mortimer features:
• Fuel-efficient Ulstein X-Bow®
• Reduced air emissions and light pollution
• Virtual anchoring for protection of the sea floor
• Reduced onboard plastic use
• Onboard water production
• Strict, onboard waste management
Year built: to be completed in 2019
Breadth: 18.2 m
Cruising Speed: 12 Knots
Full Speed: 15.5 Knots
Gross tonnage: 7400
Cabins & Amenities
The Greg Mortimer offers eighty comfortable staterooms ranging from porthole to balcony categories, all with en suite bathrooms and plenty of storage space. All staterooms feature twin or king bedding configuration, 80% include a private balcony, and 60% can accommodate a third person.
- Daily breakfast, lunch and dinner including house wines, beer and soft drinks, afternoon tea and snacks
- Pre-dinner drinks including canapés and bar snacks
- 24-hour complimentary coffee, tea and snacks
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell drinks including four-course dinner, house cocktails, house beer and wine, non-alcoholic beverages
- Large dining room/restaurant with family style dining
- Two bars/lounges
- Wellness Center (Gym, Massage Room, Sauna & Spa)
- Observation points: Indoor 180-degree lounge, Outdoor 360-degree open deck & 270-degree open sundeck
- Two hydraulic viewing platforms
- Open bridge policy
- Fleet of 15 zodiacs
- Spacious Lecture Room
- Flights included for Fly/Cruise itineraries
- All Antarctic voyages include one night’s pre-voyage accommodation and arrival airport transfer (on selected preferred flights)
- Single costs are 1.7 times the twin rate in all cabin categories
- Please note that emergency evacuation insurance is mandatory for all passengers joining an expedition to Antarctica.
- Adventure options must be pre-booked and paid for prior to start of the trip. Space is subject to availability. Some activities require experience.
Optional Adventure Activities:
- Ski/ Snowboard Touring
- Alpine hiking/climbing
- Polar Diving
- Stand-up paddleboarding
- Shackleton Crossing in South Georgia
- Camping (Free of Charge)
- Photography (Free of Charge)
Ask us about pricing for your preferred adventure option!
$12,500 - Aurora Stateroom Twin Share
Interested in this Trip? Contact Us Now
$15,495 – $24,995
$8,399 – $14,599
$17,995 – $17,995