About the Cruise South, Fly North Antarctica Peninsula Itinerary
Get the full Antarctic experience with one Drake Passage crossing, but save a day and fly the other way. Take advantage of the most direct way to Antarctica with a short three-hour flight that takes you to the white continent where you will enjoy everything the Antarctic has to offer. Immense penguin rookeries and icy landscapes await your arrival. Get the best of both Ushuaia, Argentina and Punta Arenas, Chile. If you would rather fly over the Drake both ways from Punta Arenas, Chile, check out the Classic Air Cruise itinerary. In Brief:
- The speed and convenience of a flight to Antarctica
- The excitement of one Drake Passage crossing
- In-depth Antarctic Peninsula exploration
- On board lecturers and educational presentations from Polar specialists.
Day 1: Embarkation in Ushuaia
After enjoying the World’s Southernmost city during the day, embark in the afternoon and set sail south.
Day 2 - 3: Drake Passage
Take part in Expedition team lectures and wildlife viewing on the outer decks as you reflect on your unforgettable experience on the Antarctic peninsula. On the final night, enjoy a farewell dinner with the Captain, staff and fellow travelers.
Days 4 - 9: Antarctica Peninsula
Take a deep breath – you have arrived. This is Antarctica. The waterways of the Antarctic Peninsula are home to deep bays, pristine coves and inlets and numerous small islands. The Gerlache coastline features heavily glaciated mountains permanently covered in ice and snow. Rocky outcrops are home to gentoo, adelie and chinstrap penguin rookeries and the waters are rich in marine life. We frequently encounter seals, including the powerful leopard seal, usually found hauled out on an ice floe. Curious humpback whales and the smaller minke whales are present much of the time as they feed on the vast schools of krill. Sightings of orca are not uncommon. Our activity program is in full swing and we encourage all guests to choose how their adventure unfolds. Every day we plan an exciting range of activities, including guided hikes on shore (both short and long), visits to wildlife colonies with our expert naturalist guides, as well as Zodiac cruising.
No journey is the same as flexibility is the key to success in Antarctica. The Expedition Team sets the voyage route to take advantage of the ever-changing opportunities provided by nature, crafting a unique and extraordinary experience each time. While the exact itinerary changes with each expedition, you will explore several spots that offer the best possible overview of the varied Antarctic environment. Your voyage may include visits to sites such as Paulet Island, Hope Bay, Port Lockroy, Petermann Island, Paradise Bay, Deception Island, the Lemaire Channel, or many other magnificent places.
Day 10: South Shetland Islands
After several busy days of exploration along the Antarctic Peninsula, we head for the South Shetland Islands. The adventure is not over and, if the weather conditions allow, we sail the ship into the flooded volcanic caldera at Deception Island.
Day 11: Flight to Punta Arenas, Chile
Your Antarctic adventure ends with a three-hour flight to Punta Arenas, Chile. Arrive to this small city and take the group transfer to the hotel (included).
Day 12: Depart Punta Arenas
Explore Punta Arenas before traveling onward.
Welcome Aboard the Greg Mortimer
At just 340 feet (104 meters) long, the Greg Mortimer carries a maximum of 120 expeditioners to the polar regions. As one of the smallest ships in the polar expedition cruising fleet, its size and modern ice-strengthened hull (Class 1A, one category below a full ice-breaker) give you the ability to explore those places that larger ships can’t reach.
Exclusively designed for expedition cruising, the Greg Mortimer provides an authentic, small-ship experience. Thanks to its unique, patented X-Bow®, it is capable of fast, comfortable transit speeds with less fuel consumption and reduced emissions.
Designed to the latest Polar Code for non-intrusive, low-impact voyages, the Greg Mortimer features:
• Fuel-efficient Ulstein X-Bow®
• Reduced air emissions and light pollution
• Virtual anchoring for protection of the sea floor
• Reduced onboard plastic use
• Onboard water production
• Strict, onboard waste management
Year built: to be completed in 2019
Breadth: 18.2 m
Cruising Speed: 12 Knots
Full Speed: 15.5 Knots
Gross tonnage: 7400
Cabins & Amenities
The Greg Mortimer offers eighty comfortable staterooms ranging from porthole to balcony categories, all with en suite bathrooms and plenty of storage space. All staterooms feature twin or king bedding configuration, 80% include a private balcony, and 60% can accommodate a third person.
- Daily breakfast, lunch and dinner including house wines, beer and soft drinks, afternoon tea and snacks
- Pre-dinner drinks including canapés and bar snacks
- 24-hour complimentary coffee, tea and snacks
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell drinks including four-course dinner, house cocktails, house beer and wine, non-alcoholic beverages
- Large dining room/restaurant with family style dining
- Two bars/lounges
- Wellness Center (Gym, Massage Room, Sauna & Spa)
- Observation points: Indoor 180-degree lounge, Outdoor 360-degree open deck & 270-degree open sundeck
- Two hydraulic viewing platforms
- Open bridge policy
- Fleet of 15 zodiacs
- Spacious Lecture Room
- Flights included for Fly/Cruise itineraries
- All Antarctic voyages include one night’s pre-voyage accommodation and arrival airport transfer (on selected preferred flights)
- Single costs are 1.7 times the twin rate in all cabin categories
- Please note that emergency evacuation insurance is mandatory for all passengers joining an expedition to Antarctica.
- Adventure options must be pre-booked and paid for prior to start of the trip. Space is subject to availability. Some activities require experience.
Optional Adventure Activities:
- Ski/ Snowboard Touring
- Alpine hiking/climbing
- Polar Diving
- Stand-up paddleboarding
- Shackleton Crossing in South Georgia
- Camping (Free of Charge)
- Photography (Free of Charge)
Ask us about pricing for your preferred adventure option!
Interested in this Trip? Contact Us Now
$15,495 – $24,995
$7,999 – $13,999
$4,995 – $8,595